Thursday, April 21, 2011

Marks and Men

Marks and Men
Two friends went to write the competitive exam for account service for Auditor General Office.One Mr Ramesh got 93% and the other Mr Seenu got 56%. The rank list showed Raju at the top. But reservation norms allowed Seenu as senior and He became Assistant Director and Raju got job of an accountant under Seenu.
Initially he accepted that it was his karma, he got what is due and it’s the fruit his forefathers sew for centuries, it was temporary as he was un employee and got a job. But gradually he could not take it. Seenu knew that he is superior, got more marks than Ramesh. And Ramesh snatched the opportunity from him. He started insulting Seenu publicly; small mistakes of him were shown as very big. The staff of all accountants who usually murmured about the superior was happy with the Ramesh’s comments and sometimes joined the joking parties about Seenu.         
Seenu tolerated all the insults. He knew that he got selected due to reservation. But it grew much he could not control. He wrote a lengthy letter in anger with all the harsh words to Ramesh. He kept it in a corner, allowed it to remain there for two days. After two days he read the letter he wrote and thought it was very harsh. He tore the letter in pieces, wrote another letter to Ramesh. It contained lines as “Mr Ramesh my friend, I knew as you know that I came here because of Govt policy. I do not get hurt with your comments. My community for thousands of years served people even removing their waste. I waited outside of your home for a bit of food many a times in my child hood.If you think that I have snatched it from you I am ready to give it up, But some other fellow will come as it is the backlog post. I am ready to serve under you as I have the experience of serving many people all these years owing to my caste. You will be my friend despite your comments as you helped me during my child hood.”
Ramesh read the letter. Thought that he might have secured more marks but his friend deserved the post as a human being, more human than himself.

2 comments:

  1. happy to read on the occation Dr.ambedkars birthday i bow down to ramesh's tolerence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anna.wonder full..I see a very good logic here. He wrote a letter to vent his anger and done with it and hence restrained from posting it. He composed a new message with modesty and not hatred ness and he won the heart of someone who was hell-bent on tormenting him. It’s very human to hate your foes but a deed of awakening the positive side of them always scores over revenge.
    -Murali

    ReplyDelete